Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Why I still prefer Malaysia

A LOT of people have migrated over the past 40 years and especially in the last couple of years alone, we hear of hundreds of thousands leaving in search of greener pastures. The numbers who leave are staggering, to say the least. For economic reasons but also because of "feel good" (or "feel bad" depending on how you look at it) factors, many non-bumis in Malaysia go overseas and decide to STAY overseas.
I don't begrudge them their God-given right to chose where they prefer to live, it is a personal and individual decision after all. Our forefathers chose to leave their beloved homeland probably for similar reasons. The world has become smaller today thanks to advances in modern global transportation and telecommunications, so one can easily be in England or in South Africa or the USA and connect with your loved ones on the other side of the globe instantly or even be physically there within a very short space of time. The Global village has finally arrived and it is here to stay.
But coming back to the main topic, why then not also migrate when so many others have already done so? Well, personally i feel that one should stick to something, especially a country if you will, purely for the feel good reason. That is, this is the country of my birth, it is the country of my parents' birth. I feel reasonably comfortable in Malaysia. Sure, not everything goes my way and i'm not a privileged majority in terms of education, government jobs, licenses, pink share form entitlements etc etc etc. The creeping Islamization of Malaysia affects me and i sure as heck don't appreciate the criminalisation of my liberties. But I've never asked for anything from the Malaysian government as such and i doubt that i will ask of them very much in future. I'm proud of my own community in Malaysia and what they have achieved for themselves, sans the government's help. I have met so many of my fellow countrymen of all races who are talented, intelligent, resourceful and who are basically very nice people. Oh yes, some people speak very bitterly about issues but i take these with a generous pinch of salt. It doesn't do me in or make me keel over or fall under. I am wary of people who have migrated and come and tell me unflattering things about Malaysia because i believe that the right to do so rests with those who are STILL living working and building their lives in Malaysia. Once you have left, you have left for good. Don't bring up these issues with me anymore cos i am not interested to hear it from you. You have already left Malaysia, end of the story. But having met fellow countrymen of like persuasion as myself, i find that life in Malaysia, despite all the negative flak Malaysia/Malaysians get/s so often from outsiders or even from Malaysians themselves, is still good. We have a lot of asshole politicians in Malaysia who deserve to be lynched and served ass-up on the barbeque pit. But so many ordinary people in Malaysia are among some of the most gentle, decent, generous, innocent, easy-going people i have ever met. This is what really attracts me about Malaysia. Malaysian cities are generally ugly, teeming-over-the seams monstrosities. The charm, the heart and soul of Malaysia, lies in her countryside. I have been to rural places, smaller towns, hamlets where people will feed you simply because you are a stranger and you look hungry - free of charge. People who are gentle, kind, unhurried and basically with a heart and a soul to share with you. I am sad that creeping urbanisation has done away with so much of our countryside's finer charms and I feel disturbed that the rape of the land from sand mining to careless, unchecked development continues unabated. I sure hope that in our relentless march towards "developed nation" status, we do not forget what we were, what many of us still are, and do not turn into what so many others have tragically become.

No comments:

Post a Comment