Friday, November 13, 2009

Where were you when Teresa Teng died?




I am munching on some yau char kwai (according to The Star newspaper this is called "Chinese Crullers" but nobody seems to be able to confirm this) washed down with a glass of black coffee as I write this: Where were you when Teresa Teng died? I suppose dead pop icons such as Sudirman to Malays, Andy Gibb to White people, Tupac Shakur to Black people, MGR to Tamil people are such a part of our psyche our collective consciousness if you will, that their demise leaves a gaping hole in our lives, a hole yet to be filled to this very day. And so I ask: Where were you when Teresa Teng died? As if you didn't know already and as a wiki search will show you, Teresa Teng died from a severe asthma attack while on holiday in Chiang Mai, Thailand at the age of 42 (43 by Chinese reckoning) on May 8, 1995. Sweet Teresa, the darling of millions, that mandarin song bird, was no more, rumored to have died in the arms of her froggy boyfriend. I was driving when the shocking news broke over the radio. I was crushed, along with millions of her adoring fans. I could not burn a joss stick to her name but my cd collection will forever remember her to me. To my dying day. Someday when we die, as we all must, we shall be re-united with our beloved songbird. Until that day happens, some of us will erect shrines in memory of beloved St Teresa, yes, her Sainthood shall shine a glorious path to enlighten/en-noble countless minds and lives. Remembering her hits such as "Tian Mi Mi", "The moonlight represents my heart", "the dumpling song" and so many many more evergreens. I can barely swallow my yau char kwai. I can now. So anyway, God bless you Teresa, my third love (after my mom and my dear wife). I bid you adieu, sweet princess :~(

No comments:

Post a Comment